Collingwood dating service

6854933580_2c8b688306_z

Actual Indigenous population figures from the time before European colonisation are unavailable, but John Mc Kinlay, who passed near Collingwood's future site in 1862 while leading the South Australian Burke Relief Expedition (see European exploration in the area below) remarked that Indigenous people "seemed to pour out from every nook and corner where there was water".One of these places would have been the Conn Waterhole, which does not dry up in times of drought, and it lies right near the Collingwood site, and also right near Mc Kinlay's route.Jack's report also makes clear that there are coal seams in the region.A well sunk about 1878 between Werna and Ayrshire Downs, about 50 km north of Collingwood, struck two such seams, and otherwise yielded strata of grey sandstones and sandy shales with beds of argillaceous flagstone (which contained seashells) and sandstone with iron pyrites.The team from Monash University who reached these conclusions and presented them in 2015, namely Giovanni P. Robert Logan Jack, FGS, FRGS, the Government Geologist for Queensland, wrote a report on the region (and indeed all Queensland) in 1892.Along with fellow geologist Robert Etheridge, Junior, the New South Wales Government Palaeontologist, Jack identified "a bed of gypsum, of workable thickness, and of great purity" at Chollarton, a place said by Jack to lie near Collingwood (although the name only seems to appear in one other place in the records, also in connection with Jack's work).In a native title claim application initiated in 2015 by the Koa people (also called Goamalku, Goamulgo, Goa, Coah, Coa, Guwa or Kuwa, depending on the text), the Koa, claiming descent from a group of 16 persons who lived in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, were seeking to have traditional rights recognised in an area comprising 30 000 km² of "the headwaters of the Diamantina River in what is now Northwest Queensland".Part of the basis of their claim is that Indigenous people's occupation of that land, their resource use and their trade were documented by Robert Christison in 1863 and R. Watson in 1873 in an area that included Winton, Elderslie Station and the Conn Waterhole at the junction of Wokingham Creek and the Diamantina River (Collingwood's former site).

A smaller but likewise braided stream, called Haine Creek (or Maine Creek – sources differ), empties into the Western from the south at the Collingwood site.Collingwood is a former town in the Channel Country in Central West Queensland, Australia, in the Shire of Winton.Collingwood was founded in the 1870s, and it was hoped that the town would thrive and grow into a regional centre that would foster the development of pastoral activity in the Diamantina region, an industry of great local importance to this day.The well also yielded forth many fragments of silicified and carbonised wood.The boring ended at 204 feet (62 m) in hard, fine-grained sandstone.The Diamantina River's hook-shaped upper reaches have drawn scientific attention.

You must have an account to comment. Please register or login here!