Malta dating 2016

The city of Valletta was mostly complete by the early 1570s, and it became the capital on 18 March 1571 when Grand Master Pierre de Monte moved from his seat at Fort St Angelo in Birgu to the Grandmaster's Palace in Valletta.Seven Auberges were built for the Order's Langues, and these were complete by the 1580s.

He designed the new city on a rectangular grid plan, and without any collacchio (an area restricted for important buildings).Pope Pius V sent his military architect, Francesco Laparelli, to design the new city, while Philip II of Spain sent substantial monetary aid.The foundation stone of the city was laid by Grand Master de Valette on 28 March 1566.Originally interred in the church of Our Lady of the Victories, his remains now rest in St.John's Co-Cathedral among the tombs of other Grand Masters of the Knights of Malta.The streets were designed to be wide and straight, beginning centrally from the City Gate and ending at Fort Saint Elmo (which was rebuilt) overlooking the Mediterranean; certain bastions were built 47 metres (154 ft) tall.

You must have an account to comment. Please register or login here!