Under this agreement, if a member left the Society, their funds would be returned without interest or, if they had not contributed to the Society's treasury, they would receive a small monetary gift. to hear discussions in Congress regarding the Harmonists’ petition for a grant that would allow them to purchase approximately 30,000 acres (120 km) acre of land in the Indiana Territory.
Because the climate was not well suited for growing grapes and nearby property was not available to expand their landholdings, the Harmonists submitted a petition to the U. government for assistance in purchasing land elsewhere. While the Senate passed the petition on January 29, it was defeated in House of Representatives on February 18.
Members contributed all of their possessions, pledged cooperation in promoting the interests of the group, and agreed to accept no pay for their services.
In return, the members would receive care as long as they lived with the group.
The Society is best known for its worldly successes, most notably the establishment of three model communities, the first at Harmony, Pennsylvania; the second, also called Harmony, in the Indiana Territory, now New Harmony, Indiana; and the third and final town at Economy, now Ambridge, Pennsylvania.The initial move scattered the followers and reduced Rapp's original group of 12,000 to just a few followers.Johan Frederich Reichert, who later agreed to become Rapp's adopted son and took the name of Frederick Reichert Rapp, reported in a letter dated February 25, 1804, that there were "at least 100 families or 500 persons actually ready to go" even if they had to sacrifice their property.In 1804, while Rapp and his associates remained in the United States looking for a place to settle, his followers sailed to America aboard several vessels and made their way to western Pennsylvania, where they waited until land had been selected for their new settlement.It soon grew to a population of about 800, and was highly profitable.The Harmony Society was a Christian theosophy and pietist society founded in Iptingen, Germany, in 1785.