At South and Fulton is the “old hotel” that the New Yorker’s Joseph Mitchell wrote about in the 1950s.Sloppy Louie’s, which closed in 1998 when owner Joe Morino retired, occupied the ground floor of this building on the NE corner of South and Fulton.As with a number of Seaport buildings, old hand-drawn signage can still be found above the doors.Captain Joseph Rose House, at 273 Water Street, was built between 17 and rebuilt in 1998, and thus is the third-oldest building in Manhattan, after St.Print shops of this type originated common phrases like “uppercase” and “lowercase” as the letters were once kept in 2 separate cases.“Mind your p’s and q’s” came about because the two lowercase letters are mirror images of the other.Paul’s Chapel at Broadway and Fulton and the Morris-Jumel Mansion in East Harlem.After the Rose family left, thhis was the site of Kit Burns’ Dog Pit, or Sportsman’s hall, where bareknuckle boxing matches and rat and dogfighting matches were wagered on.
The Fish Market moved to the Hunt’s Point complex in the Bronx in 2005.
The Fulton Fish Market, NYC’s primary seafood wholesale market, moved to Hunts Point in the Bronx in 2005, after a tenure here of over 170 years.
It’s gone now, as are Sweet’s and Sloppy Louie’s Restaurants (the old Paris Bar and Grill at South Street and Peck Slip, is still here as it has been since 1873, and the grande dame of NYC restaurants, the Bridge Café at Water and Dover Streets, dating back to 1794, also is).
The neighborhood’s signature fishy aroma dissipates, as one more downtown remnant of New York City’s former pre-eminence as a world-class seaport has moved away. Forgotten Tour #58 met at the Titanic Memorial Lighthouse, seen in the title card, at 10AM saturday, August 26, and the raindrops again were nowhere to be found as has been the case with all FNY tours so far in 2012.
Old pictures of South Street show sloops, square-riggers, clipper ships and many other classes of vessels docked right next to the street, which formerly abutted the East River. New York City has formal, informal and completely accidental hommages to those who died in the sinking of the RMS Titanic on April 15, 1912.
An extraordinary amount of hard work and self-sacrifice during the early years went into building of the multifaceted company that is today M. Some of the frequent guests were inventor Thomas Alva Edison, sharpshooter Annie Oakley, gourmand “Diamond Jim” Brady, and Teddy Roosevelt when he was police commissioner.